Blog journal #2

 I have been using MS Word as a student since 6th grade and throughout middle school It was one of the most convenient word processing software as I was able to use it in different ways such as writing papers or making study guides. Once I started 12th grade, some of my teachers allowed us to use either MS Word or Google Docs, I personally always preferred MS Word because I thought it was easier to use and did not quite understand how one was better than the other. It was not until my first semester at FSU that one of my teachers required us to use strictly Google Docs and I have not been able to switch ever since. The reason I prefer this word processing software over MS Word is that it is easy to share with others and work on the same document at the same time making it time efficient and you will never have to worry about your writing being lost. 

The ISTE standard that is most meaningful to me is the 2.4 Collaborator. This ISTE standard states that teachers should take time to meet with other teachers and student themselves to come up with ideas and see how they can better improve their teaching methods in ways that will allow student to have a better understanding of the material. This standard is a way that teachers can share their methods with each other and see what is and is not working. I think this standard is very important for K-12 educators as it allows them to have the students themselves give their input with ideas and resources. 

To be a digital native means to be born in a time where technology was around and was used to do a variety of things that were not around in previous times. I have seen some differences in the way my teachers and I use technology. One of my teachers in the past was old of age and she was not able to use technology the way us students can, therefore, she would not allow us to turn in papers online or homework for that matter, all assignments had to be printed out and turned in to her in person. It really did not affect my learning experience, it just made it more time consuming I believe that in the future I will become a digital immigrants and my future students will be digital native and it will always just be a cycle because what for me is now advanced technology for them will be old. 


Comments

  1. I also started using Microsoft Word in middle school. I started with learning how to type then typing small paragraphs for class and continued to get better. I also prefer Word over other software’s due to the fact that’s its easy to use as you mentioned. It is very user friendly. I like how you mentioned that you had and older teacher in the past that was not as advanced as you when it came to technology. I had a similar experience in the past. It can be frustrating when a teacher can not use the same technology as us students can. As you stated technology is only going to keep advancing, therefore one day we might the digital immigrants.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment